The 2021 Ohio Conference on Service and Volunteerism Planning Committee is seeking proposals for presentations at the 2021 Ohio Conference on Service and Volunteerism, which will be virtual via Zoom on October 27th 12:00 – 4:00 PM and October 28th 12:00 – 4:00 PM.
To create opportunities for inspiration, connection, and building 21st century skill sets that support the continued evolution and impact of Ohio’s service and volunteerism professions.
Specifically, the Planning Committee is seeking diverse proposals that will be informative and relevant, encourage opportunities for participant engagement, and/or demonstrate application to the work of participants. Our ultimate goal is to select proposals that:
- Contain new ideas, and are on the cutting edge;
- Stimulate and provoke discussion; and
- Have diverse and experienced presenters (with experience presenting in a virtual format).
1. Learn contemporary ideas and practices that enhance leadership in the service and volunteer engagement profession;
2. Gain skills that enhance professional development; and
3. Initiate and expand professional networks that will continue beyond the conference to energize and expand program impact.
The theme of the 2021 conference is “Shaping the Future of Service & Volunteerism”. All sessions must tie back to this theme. Proposals are required to explain how the session will help participants build back volunteer and service programs post-pandemic, and effectively share their story with internal and external stakeholders.
PRIORITIZED SESSION TOPIC AREAS
The 2021 Ohio Conference on Service and Volunteerism Planning Committee (made up of representatives from the various stakeholders that attend this conference) identified the following topic areas as “important and urgent” for the volunteer management profession. Preference will be given to proposals that present advanced-level content (for participants with 5+ years of experience) in the following topic areas:
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Strategies to broaden volunteer engagement as an organizational strategy post-pandemic
- Trends in volunteer engagement
- Emotional wellbeing strategies for leaders of volunteers
- Measuring Impact
- Strategies to tell our story
- Risk management
- Strategic planning for volunteer programs
- Conflict resolution
- Online Training/Learning Strategies
- Emotional intelligence
- Event/project planning
- Recruitment/Retention/Retention strategies
Proposals that address additional topics may be considered; however, during the selection process, priority will be given to proposals that address the above list of topics and desired content.
WHAT IS THE SESSION FORMAT?
All sessions will be 60 minutes in length.
Who should submit a proposal for the conference?
Experienced presenters who are comfortable presenting content virtually with up to 150 participants should submit a proposal to present a session. Sessions should present relevant information and build specific skills and/or knowledge by giving the participants an opportunity to practice or dialogue about the concepts presented.
How will the session work?
- Sessions will be held in Zoom breakout rooms, with up to 150 participants in each room.
- Each workshop is one session dedicated to one topic for 60 minutes.
- The topic should be an appropriate match for a 60-minute session.
What will presenters need to do?
- Presenters will attend a 30-minute virtual “dress rehearsal” session one week prior to the conference to ensure they are comfortable with the technology.
- Submit session slides two weeks prior to the conference.
- Presenters will provide training virtually to up to 150 participants.
- Presenters will have 60 minutes to carry out the workshop.
HOW DO I SUBMIT A PROPOSAL?
Submit the completed “Request for Proposal Form” via email to firstname.lastname@example.org in a Microsoft Word format, with the subject line "2021 Ohio Conference on Service and Volunteerism FORM." To obtain a copy of this form, scroll to the top of this page and click the "Downlod Proposal Form" button.
WHAT IS THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE?
All proposals must be received via email by May 25, 2021 at 11:59 PM Eastern time to be considered for the 2021 Ohio Conference on Service and Volunteerism.
If you are having trouble with the Request for Proposal Form, please contact Rebeccah Verhoff-Kiss well before the submission deadline.
HOW WILL PROPOSALS BE SELECTED?
The conference planning committee will review and select proposals based on the following criteria:
- Relevance to the conference theme, purpose, and outcomes
- Ability to address timely, relevant topics (see topic list)
- Building of participants’ skills/knowledge
- Presenter’s expertise/knowledge of topic
- Presenter’s training experience, skills, and style
- Topic, content, and methodology and whether it meets the target audience’s needs and level of expertise (preference will be given to advanced-level proposals suited for participants with 5+ years of experience)
- Clear outcomes for increasing participants’ skills, knowledge, or other resources
ADDITIONAL SELECTION CRITERIA FOR PROPOSALS:
- Presenter provides new, relevant, and helpful information that provides effective, practical application of the training
- Methodology addresses various learning styles (auditory, visual, kinesthetic)
- Includes interaction between participants
- Presenter demonstrates mastery of technology or other training aids to be used.
- Clear and effective breakdown of presentation (draft agenda).
WHEN AND HOW WILL I KNOW IF I HAVE BEEN SELECTED?
Presenters will be notified via email by June 30, 2021 if their proposals have been selected for the 2021 conference.
IF I AM SELECTED, WHAT ARE THE NEXT STEPS?
- Presenters will register for the event. Presenters (1 per session) will receive a special registration code which will allow for complimentary registration for the conference.
- Information regarding online registration will be available on the conference website.
- Presenters must be prepared to submit electronic copies of final handouts and other training materials by October 13, 2021.
- Presenters must be available for a 30-minute virtual “dress rehearsal” one week prior to the conference.
Please contact Rebeccah Verhoff-Kiss at email@example.com.