Frequently Asked Questions
NOTE: ServeOhio does not place individual AmeriCorps members with organizations. ServeOhio provides competitive grants for programs to design, implement, and manage a state AmeriCorps program. It is the responsibility of the successful grantee to recruit and manage AmeriCorps members.
Q. Who is eligible to apply?
- Districts, Collaborative, Higher Education
Q. Does my program fit into a CNCS AmeriCorps Funding Priority?
- Veterans and Military Families
- Disaster Services
- Economic Opportunity
- Environmental Stewardship
- Healthy Futures
Q. What grants are available?
- Planning Grant - Utilize resources to develop an AmeriCorps program which will engage AmeriCorps members to address community needs in CNCS and/or ServeOhio priority areas. Planning grants are only available in the spring (Formula) grant competition.
- Operational Grant – Sound program design and implementation strategy identified; clearly articulated member responsibilities, activities, training, supervision, evaluation, organizational history and capacity, sustainability plans, and fund management.
- Fixed-Amount – grantees will receive an award for specific amount per Member Service Year (MSY); no match required and no approved budget. New applicants are not eligible to apply for a Fixed-Amount grant.
- Education Award Program (EAP) – awarded a small funding grant and uses their own resources for the members’ living allowance and program costs.
Q. Is AmeriCorps the right fit?
Run the numbers:
- Does my organization have the organizational, technological and fiscal capacity to manage a federal grant?
- Does my organization have the resources to match the federal funds (cash and in-kind)? Review the Overall Minimum Match Chart here.
- Does my organization have the resources to manage a program for 30-60 days before receiving reimbursement?
- Can my organization support, at minimum, 10 Member Service Years (MSY)? 1 MSY equals 1 full-time (FT) term of service for 1700 hours.
- Receive commitment letters from organizations willing to partner for an AmeriCorps program (these are for organizational use only, not for submitting with the grant application).
Do the Research
- Does my organization address compelling needs in education, veterans/military families, disaster services, economic opportunities, environmental stewardship, healthy futures or capacity building?
- Would this program support my organization’s mission and strategic plan or the needs of my community?
Meet with Potential Partners
- Will this program offer services not already offered in the community?
- Are there other community organizations wanting an AmeriCorps program or an existing AmeriCorps program in my community?
Q. What is AmeriCorps selection criteria?
- Evidence that identify needs exist in targeted communities;
- AmeriCorps is adding unique value;
- Interventions are evidence-based or evidence-informed with measurable community impact;
- Provides powerful service experience with increased community impact;
- Links need with intervention and anticipated outcomes.
- Sound organizational structure;
- Ability to ensure compliance with AmeriCorps rules and regulations;
- Record of accomplishment as an organization;
- Success in securing community support.
Cost-Effectiveness & Budget Adequacy
- Aligned with program narrative;
- Does not exceed maximum cost per MSY.